Hello Everyone, I am new here

• Hello Everyone,

My name is Vignesh, I am 33 years old. I was introduced to computers in the mid 90s by my uncle and my cousins.

I was using Dos in my childhood and spent many hours fighting with my brothers to play Dos games (mostly Dangerous dave, Arkanoid, Wolf3D, Raptor, etc.,). I only used DOS for playing games and was not aware of its utility outside games back then.

I still remember the first time I used Dos. Was staring cluelessly at a black screen and not knowing what to do : P . Only commands I learned back then was CD and DIR, adequate to play games.

Over the years, I have used Dosbox for emulating some of my childhood favorites as well as discovering some hidden gems thanks to youtube.

Recently youtube recommendations led to an old interview video about George Martin writing novels on Wordstar. This led me down a rabbit's hole to discover interesting Dos programs and the power of DOS. I have also just started learning Batch programming. I guess its pretty useless now but who cares!!

I am about to set up a retro PC powered by DOS with my spare laptop. Will be using Freedos for the same.

When hunting for resources, I stumbled upon your site and like your content very much. BTW, this was the first page, which hooked me. I had to use Google translate to go through as I don't speak German.

Thanks,

Vignesh

• Hi,

welcome to your Forum, nice to meet you!

maybe you also know vogons which is english community ?

Whats your Origin ? Vignesh sounds some how indian to me :) or maybe hungarian ?

совок

• Yes, I am Indian. I saw Vogons also listed when I was looking for DOS resources but have not visited that site yet.

• Hi @vikits Welcome here on board, i wish you a nice time. :)

Meine Vintagerechner: XT (NEC V20) & Book8088 (v2, VGA) #-# Epson XT portable #-# HighScreen 286@16MHz #-# L&P 286-20MHz #-# Cyrix 386DRx²-33/66 #-# ESCOM Black Slim Am386DX@40MHz #-# SCT Proline Cyrix486DX2@66 #-# Cyrix 5x86@100 VIP #-# Libretto 50CT #-# && 1x Sockel 8 & 3x Sockel4 (60MHz + 66MHz)

• Hehe are you Vignesh Shivan ? the Movie Maker ? :D

No.. I am not. I am not associated with movie industry other than that I watch movies 😁. I am an accountant by profession and new dos enthusiast

• Welcome!

And don't worry if you are new: None of us has been born a DOS master, we all had to learn and we all are still learning every day.

Daily Driver: MSI X470 Gaming Plus - Ryzen 7 1700 - 32 GB - Geforce GTX 1060 6GB - 1 TB NVMe SSD - 2 x 1 TB Raid-0 SATA

Projekt #1: ASI 486-33 - Projekt #2: PC Chips M912 486 VLB - Projekt #3: Biostar MB8500TVX-A Pentium MMX 166 - Projekt #4: ASUS TXP4 K6-III 400 - Projekt #5: Gigabyte GA-6BXDS Dual Slot 1 PIII-650 -

Projekt #6: ASUS P2B-DS Dual Slot 1 PIII-1000 - Projekt #7: Gigabyte GA-6VXD7 Dual Sockel 370 PIII-1000 - Projekt #8: TYAN S2505T Dual Tualatin 1400

• Hi @vikits ,

be welcome! Or should I say: namasté ;)

You found here a bunch of hopelessly nostalgic, nevertheless highly interested and creative madmen :D :P :mrgreen, some mad ladies too - and we even do have non-DOS-themes :scared in the forum. ;)

Greetings, and feel at home, duncan

"..seid ihr in etwa Anarchisten" "Nein, SOWEIT entwickelt sind wir noch nicht" (R.A.Wilson)

JEDE Zentralisierung ist Machtmissbrauch!!

...ich kann IMMER Iomega ATAPI ZIPs brauchen - schaut doch mal nach bitte ;)

• Hello @vikits

and big greetings from me, too! It's so cool to see People from the other Side of the Planet to visit the rich content here ;)

Have Fun :D

• Welcome on board vikits.

I would be interestet how common older PC's are still in India?

386SX- 20 Mhz "Erster eigener Rechner!2" NoName Komponenten

486DX -30 "Industrie PC" auf Steckkarte

Super Sockel 7 Gigabyte GA-5AA 3Dfx Voodoo 3500 TV

AMD "Geode" ebenfalls Steckkarte für Backplane

3x IBM Netvista 8364 "ThinRetroSystem" 1-2 von denen würde ich tauschen...

"und noch so einiges mehr... "

• We do have a Desktop PC from 92 lying in our home. And in India, using old Desktops for Home Use is pretty common. Though in recent 5-10 years since the onset of smartphones, the trend is declining. People want new stuff and there is so much new and shiny things to buy.

Welcome on board vikits.

I would be interestet how common older PC's are still in India?

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!