USB to Serial Mouse using the Pi Pico!

• Hallo!

I have updated the terminal to be fairly easily translatable. It's a bit messy but it works.
    With that I have assembled what I believe to be a full shit of strings used by the terminal and here is a link to a google doc of them: https://docs.google.com/spread…T2tRMB34/edit?usp=sharing

I have an English column, description column (to give context to some words or phrases) and a German column.
    If you want to contribute to the translation then just edit the doc linked above and leave a name you want to be credited by at the bottom of the german column.

Hopefully it's not too hard to follow but I am a bit tired now so something might not make much sense or be worded strangely. If you have any questions. just ask.

Danke,
    Lime

Be Happy, it's only going to get worse.

• Hallo

Thanks to whomever translated half of the strings on the google doc.

I took a shot at translating the other half of the strings (with my translation written in green). My German is poor but hopefully my translation is passable, with some help from google translate of course.

I'd appreciate it if someone read over it and let me know if it's okay. You're free to edit them if you want to.

Danke
    -Lime

• Take a look tomorrow!

386SX- 20 Mhz "Erster eigener Rechner!2" NoName Komponenten

486DX -30 "Industrie PC" auf Steckkarte

Super Sockel 7 Gigabyte GA-5AA 3Dfx Voodoo 3500 TV

AMD "Geode" ebenfalls Steckkarte für Backplane

3x IBM Netvista 8364 "ThinRetroSystem" 1-2 von denen würde ich tauschen...

"und noch so einiges mehr... "

• Got interrupted and adapted a few of the other ones just now. I'm not completely sure about the context in a few spots. Feel free to adapt and correct whatever feels wrong ;)

• Hey there

I made a quick unscripted video showing the terminal off some bit. The idea was for a translation check in context.
    I'm tired and I rambled for about half an hour. I'm rendering the video out now since I edited the audio to perk it up a bit.

hopefully it helps or at least looks interesting to someone. I'll post a youtube link when it's uploaded.

-Lime

• Externer Inhalt youtu.be
    Inhalte von externen Seiten werden ohne Ihre Zustimmung nicht automatisch geladen und angezeigt.
    Durch die Aktivierung der externen Inhalte erklären Sie sich damit einverstanden, dass personenbezogene Daten an Drittplattformen übermittelt werden. Mehr Informationen dazu haben wir in unserer Datenschutzerklärung zur Verfügung gestellt.

enjoy

• Sadly, 'Version' is not a swear, but 100% the same in German :D

Just some comments from watching the video:

There's still some small grammatical errors, like:
    'Setze den seriellen Maustyp' (which could e.g. also be way shortened to just 'Maustyp')
    or:
    'Serielle Baudrate' could just be 'Baudrate' (which would be used in German also).

Mousetyp should be Maustyp.

Konfiguration anzeigen (the A should be lower case), as should be the R in BaudRate (-> Baudrate). The word 'tauschen' should be lower case everywhere.

It should als be 'Setze das serielle Format' (though I'm not really happy with serielles Format - it doesn't really translate like that and should probably be something like 'Start-/Stop-Bit Format')

My translation of 'coasting' with 'rollen' doesn't really fit it, I guess, if it means to hint to a 'slippery' feeling of the mouse cursor... maybe there's some explanation of the seen behavior that would give me a better idea about what it should be.
    Same thing for the 'Bewegungsbereich' - I did interpret it as the movement area for the cursor, but I have the feeling you're more thinking about something like a speedup (which would be 'Beschleunigung')?

The part about the 'was mit dem Rückstand der seriellen Mausaktualisierungen passieren soll' might maybe sound better as 'was mit den gepufferten Mausaktualisierungen passieren soll' - though that would need a better understanding on my side about what exactly is going on there in technical aspects :)

You could also shorten the Menu for 'Bewegungsbereich' to

Bewegungsbereich in: X -Richtung=100 | Y-Richtung: 200 | ...
    no need to repeat the word 'Bewegungsbereich' a few times.

Btw.: the settings listing still shows the language selection es 'English' while the menu is German.

Oh and the last message from the terminal (Terminal beenden) should be 'Terminal beendet' (or: Verbindung beendet = 'connection closed').

• No worries about credits at all, I'm not a trained translator, just trying to help out. Nothing worth mentioning at all and maybe someone might want to have a look over it, too and fix what's not a 100% to them, yet.

• Hallo

Thanks for taking the time to watch the video and for your part in the translation.

I'll update the translation with your comments in mind.

Coasting is probably the hardest thing to explain, it's all about feel. It just does feel like the on screen cursor is just skidding along on ice. I wouldn't describe it like a glide though so I called it coasting.
    A small movement feels fairly normal but a big movement can keep sending a change in x or y after you've stopped moving the mouse. So for example, with that setting on in doom, you give the mouse a good flick right, doom guy will keep spinning right for a bit after you've stopped moving the mouse, but a little movement turns doom guy a little bit.
    I think Rollen may work, implying that the cursor is rolling on a ball or something to that effect.

x travel & y travel. It's not quite an area of movement. It's more like sensitivity control.

X axis movement sent over serial = (X axis moment from usb mouse * (value / 100))

With value being the a number between 1 and 200 that you set in the terminal or with the dip switches.

Also
    Btw.: the settings listing still shows the language selection es 'English' while the menu is German.

That took me so long to see. I was staring at that menu wondering what the issue was before I clicked "oh, it says English, in English"

Danke
    -Lime

• Ok, then both of my interpretations were not really on point.

Skidding would then probably better be translated as 'gleiten' (which is much closer to sliding / skidding) than what I had in mind at first with 'Rollen / Bildlauf'.
    I've actually just found a similar setting in my touchpad's driver: In German it's called 'Träger Bildlauf', though I'd say that's creating a wrong mental image also. 'Träge' is mostly used in the context of sluggish, but in physical terms that is totally correct and means 'inertia'. So, unless someone else could come up with a better idea, I'd suggest 'gleiten' :)

As for the area of movement, with your explanation I'd now more pick something along 'Ratenadaption' = rate adaption - though that's something that might need its own explanation again :))
    I'm thinking I've seen that in some mouse drivers as 'Cursor speed' = Zeigergeschwindigkeit. Maybe that's the way to go?

Apart from that, this built-in menu is really impressive and looks great. Thanks for all the effort showing it in a video!

• hello there

Thanks for the suggestions, I'd say that they are the way to go.

I wish I wasn't so tired during it. By the time I got around to setting it up it was already late.
    I wanted to show the mouse rate tool on hardware, for some reason I didn't think of just VNC'ing into the XP machine until I had the capture card set up.

-Lime

• A bit unrelated but I bought a Gotek recently and it would seem that I got a unicorn.
    STM32 with the KC30 header for the stock rotary encoder.

I asked about it on the Flash Floppys github page and it turns out that I got a 1 of 100 GoTek. I also modified it before finding out what it was and I slightly regret that now.

So I ordered another one from the same amazon seller. Let's see what shows up.

-Lime

• Hello everyone!

Sorry that I've been quiet. Have been unwell.

As an update
    I changed how coasting works a bit. No change to the feel but it should just make it easier for a mouse and keyboard adapter.

At the moment that isn't in the works but I'm keeping the possibility in mind while coding the mouse.
    How the old Coasting system worked was by infrequently calling the USB device host stack which would have messed with any connected USB keyboard.

Now coasting actually uses a proper mouse buffer instead of cheesing it.

In terms of more minor things, I ordered something that'll hopefully allow me to record video from my 486 to show the adapter working on hardware older than my XP machine. Which would be nice.
    In hindsight it might have been more useful to get a better vga card, something that can go higher than 800x600 @256 colours. I have a GBA control but it doesn't work with 800x600 for some reason.

Sorry again for being quiet, hopefully the new version with German translation will be available soon!

-Lime

• Hallo.

Nothing major to be said today really.

I have had the idea to make a proper video explaining some of how the USB-2-232 works.
    It has been a long time since I was editing video so I tried to make a primitive animation to see.
    The idea of this scene was that here is where I'd talk about the fact that USB mice talk faster and it needed a buffer, leading into information on the movement types.

This took a few hours of figuring out. I'm not sure I'll stick with trying little animations but hey, it was nice to do something different.

Externer Inhalt youtu.be
    Inhalte von externen Seiten werden ohne Ihre Zustimmung nicht automatisch geladen und angezeigt.
    Durch die Aktivierung der externen Inhalte erklären Sie sich damit einverstanden, dass personenbezogene Daten an Drittplattformen übermittelt werden. Mehr Informationen dazu haben wir in unserer Datenschutzerklärung zur Verfügung gestellt.

Getting the low frame rate circular motion working was a real annoyance.

The code for the next version should be done now. Just testing really.

I still have a small pile of early PCB's that I'm getting really tired of looking at. If someone is interested in giving their opinion of this thing, let me know.
    I could send you an assembled unit to have fun with.

Danke!
    -Lime

• How is latency ?

i would like to try it out, and maybe continue with my previous work to place the rp2040 mcu and all other hardware directly on One PCB.

(if rp2040 is buyable...)

совок

• How is latency ?

i would like to try it out, and maybe continue with my previous work to place the rp2040 mcu and all other hardware directly on One PCB.

(if rp2040 is buyable...)

Honestly, I don't feel a latency and there is nothing I've noticed in regards to clicking.
    I use a high DPI mouse daily so the motion does feel weird to me but any mouse other than my own feels weird.
    I did try the adapter with another high DPI mouse and I was amazed how well it worked.

I'm open to sending you a unit. If you're interested just send a DM.
    One note, I'm waiting on parts for my 3d printer to arrive and she isn't printing right at the moment.
    Unless you want to wait for those parts to arrive, then the case will have a wiggle on the z axis.

It's been a while since I've seen a loose rp2040 chip for sale. I think BerryBase had them for a euro a pop sometimes.
    It would be cool to see a board with the rp2040 chip on there instead of a pico.
    Also I wouldn't blame you if you ditched the dipswitches. I love'm and I use them but now with the terminal there is a better option for configuring the settings.

-Lime

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!