USB to Serial Mouse using the Pi Pico!

• Hi CalamityLime

Do you think it might be posible to extend your Adapter to work with Amiga or Atari Systems?

Hello there!

I did look into that already and correct me if I'm wrong but the amiga and atari systems don't use serial/rs232, the wiring is similar to a joystick and the changes would need to be made on a hardware level, not a software level.
    It could be done but it would likely have to be it's own thing.

Be Happy, it's only going to get worse.

• I think you are right more or less. I was not sure how much off your Design depands in Hardware....

386SX- 20 Mhz "Erster eigener Rechner!2" NoName Komponenten

486DX -30 "Industrie PC" auf Steckkarte

Super Sockel 7 Gigabyte GA-5AA 3Dfx Voodoo 3500 TV

AMD "Geode" ebenfalls Steckkarte für Backplane

3x IBM Netvista 8364 "ThinRetroSystem" 1-2 von denen würde ich tauschen...

"und noch so einiges mehr... "

• Hello there.

Sorry for being away for so long.
    Relationship issues, health issues and job issues really made not very productive. I'm kind of late now to the party with the Hidman by rastri and a similar pi pico project that converts usb and keyboard mice to ps/2 keyboard and mice but I have these boards and now the drive to finish the firmware.

So now, a 20kg lighter CalamityLime is back to finish what he started.

In simple updates for the moment.

• TinyUSB has been updated to the latest version, which does indeed support multilayered usb hubs so it works with KVM's out of the box, unfortunately the pi foundation include an older and I think modded version of TinyUSB that doesn't work with KVMs, so I'm still hacking in a working copy of tinyUSB
    • I had started porting ps2dev from arduino to c, which might be the harder way of doing things but I'm still rewriting bits to suit the project better. Who knows it might even get some pio asm.
    • The hardware I designed and ordered is correct. I have the firmware connecting to my socket 7 and the machine treats it like keyboard, it just can't type yet.
    • It can connect to a usb keyboard and talk to it. It sounds simple but it meant dealing with TinyUSB which was far from simple for no good reason. Honestly, this was the part I dreaded most and kept putting me off picking this up again.
    • Currently I'm writing the code to that it can support multiple usb keyboards connected at the same time, purely so I can have a real keyboard and a portable rii style one connected at the same time. I might drop this but I'll try to keep it.

If you're still following this, thanks and sorry again.

-Lime

• To be honest I dont unterstand in Detail what you have build, in my simple words I assumed that a device capable off working in a serial conection should easy be able to emulate that much simpler devices...

But no Problem I will find a solution for this.

• To be honest I dont unterstand in Detail what you have build, in my simple words I assumed that a device capable off working in a serial conection should easy be able to emulate that much simpler devices...

But no Problem I will find a solution for this.

Honestly it is something i did have in mind and i did want to do (still wouldn't mind trying)

But there are already really cheap PS2 compatible nice to Atari mouse adapters out there. Like this thing:

USB PS2 Mouse Adapter -> Atari ST Amiga Amstrad Commodore 9pin DB9 Joystick Port | eBay
    USB PS2 Mouse Adapter -> Atari ST Amiga Amstrad Commodore 9pin DB9 Joystick Port | Computers/Tablets & Networking, Vintage Computing, Vintage Parts &…
    www.ebay.ie

Is that what you're looking for?

• I want to use one mice with a switch at the Workbench with a Amiga 500 a Atari ST a C128 and a PC...

• Quick updates

• I put together a translation table to go from the USB HID scan codes to ps2 Set 1 and Set 2 scan codes. My list comes from a few places but mostly an MS PDF and wiki osdev, with f13 -> f24 coming from someones blog, it was an interesting read.
    • It is sending the scan codes to the PC properly so what I type on the usb keyboard is sent to the AT keyboard port of my socket 7. It works better than I thought it would.
    • You may have noticed that I mentioned set 1, I'm writing the code with XT in mind so potentially XT support could be added.
    • KVM's still work, Hubs still work.
    • Mouse and keyboard works simultaneously but if you open the terminal the keyboard stops responding but early days yet.

Well, it's quite fun tinkering with this and it's a massive relief that my PCB's are correct. Things are coming together quicker than I thought they would.

• Thank you for the link! I own a similar Keyboard...

• 1x PS 3

And the PS 3 Remote Control would be great to be able to use it on a PC. The Linux driver sadly did no longer work with modern Distros...

• 1x PS 3

And the PS 3 Remote Control would be great to be able to use it on a PC. The Linux driver sadly did no longer work with modern Distros...

I'#m not sure if ps3 controller would work without a bluetooth module since those controllers just get power from usb and don't seem to transmit their data over USB. I was trying one earlier thinking it would work. I'll look into it again at some point to see what can be done.

• well, good news. I found a tinyusb driver for x-input.
    https://github.com/Ryzee119/tusb_xinput

it doesn't really work out of the box though, it took some figuring on my end and modding both the driver and tinyusb (more than the driver's read me says to do) but I got it to connect.
    I tested an xbox one and xbox360 controller on it and they both worked. It claims to work with the original xbox controllers too. So thats handy.

Huzzah, now to make the pause key work right.

Also I've gotten some cables in for any testers, just have to find a decent cheap-ish usb hub for them too. IT would at least make for a reference kit for anyone making their own.

• recently got this with a PS1. Feels quite cheap. but then, I never have used a PS1 controller or an PS1 actully, in anger.

Picked it up out of curiosity and for the spouse who feels nostalgic about the fighting games..

"Das Alte oder das Moderne zu schätzen ist leicht, aber das Obsolete schätzen zu wissen ist der Triumph des echten Geschmacks." (Nicholás Gómez Dávila)

• recently got this with a PS1. Feels quite cheap. but then, I never have used a PS1 controller or an PS1 actully, in anger.

Picked it up out of curiosity and for the spouse who feels nostalgic about the fighting games..

Also got to love a round face dpad. Makes me nostalgic for the mega drive and bomberman

• How many people here have PlayStation controllers? If so, which

All of them. ;)

I'#m not sure if ps3 controller would work without a bluetooth module since those controllers just get power from usb and don't seem to transmit their data over USB. I was trying one earlier thinking it would work. I'll look into it again at some point to see what can be done.

PS3 should work, as it communicates over bluetooth and USB:

PS3 Information · felis/USB_Host_Shield_2.0 Wiki
    Revision 2.0 of USB Host Library for Arduino. Contribute to felis/USB_Host_Shield_2.0 development by creating an account on GitHub.
    github.com

Do you know how to get to Bells Canyon?

• I decided to start uploading this project to github. The read me is a WIP but I corrected the PCB and fixed the LEDS so now they are rotated correctly (hopefully), edited photos and bleh. I'll just add to it as time goes by.

GitHub - LimeProgramming/USB-2-232-KBD at dev
    Converts USB mice and USB keyboards to serial mice and XT-AT-PS/2 keyboards - GitHub - LimeProgramming/USB-2-232-KBD at dev
    github.com

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!