Beiträge von CalamityLime

Hallo.

So, I followed one of my personal rules of open source software, "when the official one doesn't work, hope to christ there is a working fork!"
    I found one fork of tinyUSB talking about multiple hub layers which I think was unimplemented on the official version. I tried it out and it picked up the KVM, it connected to it and didn't throw a fit.

Only problem, I seem to have something broken where it doesn't seem to be posting input data to the correct destination, an issue not exclusive to this fork. I'm very confused by this. I guess I have something set up wrong somewhere along the line but I don't know what.

HOWEVER, I'm curious if I can backport the fix to make a custom version of tinyUSB 10 which seems to play the nicest with the humble mouse and keyboard.

So, promising.

A Raspi Zero is out of question for me.

Also its not buyable in numbers, so it can`t be used for a easily distributable product.

Maybe the existing base for tiny2313 could be used and a atmega32u5 or something.

Hey

atmega32u4 doesn't have support for usb host. Only device.

I think a combination of Arduino nano and max3421 might work? (maybe even pico running the Arduino core)
    Maybe it's time to find a usb host shield on amazon or something.

-Lime.

Hello,

I took a look at the newest version of TinyUSB for the Pico, it still doesn't work.

According to a thread under the issues tab, the creator on TinyUSB claims that the stock example works with a hub, keyboard and mouse but I can't get that to work. It not longer panics when its connected to a hub at least but it gives an assertion error when I plug anything into the hub. The creator also commented that they never tried making a proper port of their USB hub code for the rp2040.
    My KVM gives similar issues.

Adding to issues, with the newest version of TinyUSB my wireless mouse is no longer recognized, only a basic wired USB mouse.

So the creator of TinyUSB seems to think hubs work well enough on the pico (none of mine work on the pico), and they seem focused on adding odd things to TinyUSB. So I wouldn't count on the pico working with KVM's using TinyUSB any time soon. Mighty annoying.

So I guess to hit the KVM it'll need a different controller with working USB host code or a modified TinyUSB. I don't have the know how to modify TinyUSB, hiring someone to make something for me would be costly and I feel like I've spent enough money on this already.
    I mean, it's possible to move to the pi zero or a teensy. Would that even be worth it?

-Lime

Hallo!

So I have recently been toying with the idea of a USB keyboard to AT din adapter.
    I have a longer post on my old vogons thread but TL;DR:

• I have a bread boarded circuit that seems to work. Made out of things I had on hand, so there may be better options.
    • Begun porting ps2dev for Arduino to the C SDK of the pico. Fairly straight forward with a couple of catches that I'll have to iron out.
    • With my basic circuit and code, I got my 486 to recognize the pico as a keyboard and actually read the keys that the pico is sending.
    • The ferrites I used on the breadboard are ones I robbed from a broken electric shower, nothing special but I think it's fun!

A quick word on the circuit:

I'm using an AND gate because I felt like something was needed in between the circuit that talks to the computer and the resistor divider.

A simple logic level converter might be an option to wire the keyboard into the pico but this circuit emulates closer to my own AT keyboard which I'm using as a reference currently.

I don't know how far this project will go, maybe it'll end after a bit more tinkering on my part. Is this something that would be of interest to anyone else?
    It could be fun to use a modern cheap mechanical keyboard on an older machine.

That's all I got for the moment, Danke.
    -Lime.

I done the best I could.
    Enjoy the free trolley tokens also!

I hope i`m at the list of the 12 units (better at the 6 with case)

I'll make note of it.
    Please do check the ad when it's up. The first lot of boards I ordered had a mistake on the PCB and will have bodge wires to fix it. I'll do the fix and it'll be sold as assembled as ready to go but the serial port will be upside down. I can put the serial port on the "correct" way if you want me to but the bodge will be a bit ugly because of how I layed the traces in the first place.

Hallo!

Turns out that I had to order some boxes to post any adapters. I had a look around today in a few shops but there was next to no post supplies. Couldn't even find bubble wrap.

I ordered a few boxes on amazon which should hopefully arrive during the week or even next week. I'll post an ad sometime tomorrow or the day after, my head to too fried today to work out the numbers but we're looking at 12 units at the moment and each will come with a case, cases for mounting in the expansion slot will be limited to 6 units and will cost a bit extra (maybe like 3€, not sure yet not much though)

If the demand is there then I'll do another batch.

That's all for the moment my dear lads.

Hey, thanks for checking out the readme.

I thought adding extra photos might have come across a little tacky? But there are spots where extra photos wouldn't hurt to add. Like the PCB variants for example.

About the Dip switches.

If both 1 and 2 are up then it'll pick the MS wheel mouse not both. I had a mental pecking order so to speak of Wheel > logitech > 2 button, so the dip switches worked in that order.

About 7N2, I saw in the source code of scorps ps/2 to serial adapter that he used 7n2 and commented "some serial controllers expect 8+1 bits format" so I included that in my own project but as an option.

Two button mouse 7n1@1200 refreshes at 44 updates a second but 7n2 @1200 refreshes at 40 updates a second (I saw that in a YouTube video that I can't find anymore so those numbers are from memory) so I made 7N2 optional instead of always on just for that extra bit of speed.

Danke.

Hallo!

I'm hoping to get to releasing this today.

Just some final testing and documentation.

I have a bit of a favour to ask, if you have the time would you check out the readme for this on GitHub?

GitHub - LimeProgramming/USB-serial-mouse-adapter: Convert USB mouse to Serial mouse using Pi Pico
    Convert USB mouse to Serial mouse using Pi Pico. Contribute to LimeProgramming/USB-serial-mouse-adapter development by creating an account on GitHub.
    github.com

Just let me know what you think or if there is anything missing/worth patching.

Danke

-Lime

Thanks for the nice comments.

I was away yesterday for funeral so it was nice to return to something positive.

I ordered 6 of those panel mount USB ports for when it's ready for a small batch. It was actually much easier to and even cheaper to source them from those shield covers with 2 USB ports that plug into a mother board. 6 for 7€ vs 2€ a pop from ali.

I'll have to tackle the problem of a proper case for external use today. For the moment I'm just using a sled to prevent shorts. I think I'll use a similar design with the slide in rails and clip on back just a bit slimmer to keep it out of the way.

The code is most of the way done now, so that shouldn't take much longer.

Keep in mind that the board and pico pictured is the unit I'm using for development. I made a mistake on the PCB when I first ordered them so the serial port will have to go on upside down for the PCBs I have on hand.

-Lime